Can I Make Changes to my Child Custody Agreement After My Divorce

When divorce becomes finalized, you may think there isn’t a light at the end of this very difficult tunnel. It is important to know that everything is going to be okay, and that things take time. It is very important to accept all the feelings you may have during this process and to properly grieve during your divorce. Holding in emotions can cause a lot of added stress and anxiety that you do not want or need during this time. Always know that there are people and resources for you to reach out to. Comeiro Mediation is always an open ear to anybody that needs one. You can contact us even after your divorce is final.

Days, months, or years after your divorce is final you may have areas of your lives that have changed. There are certain items in your original separation agreement such as child support, parenting plans/custody plans, health insurance, etc. that may need an update. The good news is one or both parties are allowed to request a change to the original separation agreement to meet the needs of your life and your children’s lives.

You may be asking yourself, “What are the reasons for a change in your custody agreement?â€. Well, I am glad you asked.

Below is a list of some of those answers you are looking for

  • One parent decides to move out of the state.
  • One parent is not abiding by the rules that were agreed upon in the court approved separation agreement.
  • Your child’s education or extracurricular activities have changed since the original agreement.
  • The child’s current home environment has become a danger to his or her health and safety.
  • One parent is no longer able to properly care or support the child’s needs.
  • One parent has fallen to drug or alcohol addictions.

It is always best to talk to your mediator in FULL details as they will help navigate you through this difficult process of the request in accordance with the Massachusetts court system.